Saturday 28 March 2015

2015-03-26: Fish is Fine, Meat is Magnificent

I got a haircut. It was another exercise in pointing and making other people feel good. The Barber got to use both the English words he knew and was happy that I understood. He had charts of haircuts to choose from in a mix and match manner; side, back, top. There were no Dragon Ball Z pictures and I think he regarded my choices as stupid anyway so he did what he thought was best.
Hair Gel choices. Not sure if you choose the boy that looks most like you (purple?) or the boy you most want to be (orange - he looks like an innocent rascal) so I got the brown one.
He also had a bit of a giggle when he stepped away from using the straight razor to clean up the edges. I needed to cough quite badly but didn't know how to warn him and was not going to cough with that blade against my neck. Apparently use of the straight razor requires Federal licensing. Nail Artistes only need State licensing. I won't be trusting those Ladies near me with such low level qualification.
I had been in to his establishment a couple of days ago but I think he was busy at the time. Last time I couldn't figure out how to leave as the door had no handle or button or detector. Last time he laughed and showed me it has a pressure sensor.
You can tell he is a barber because the magic sink that folds out of the wall is a "lean forward" type. Beauticians use the "lean back" type. Presumably because of the lower qualification levels they would keep drowning customers.
He laughed when I made the same damn mistake this time.
I spread happiness behind me like rose petals cast aloft unto the vagaries of circumstance. I consider this a service to the world.

Sign Review: No Bikes

The sign says no bikes. I don't think there is much chance of me interpreting that wrong. Pretty damn universal iconography right there.
Maybe they just have the bike lanes so criminals breaking the law can do it in an orderly fashion
The Bike lanes exhibit another pretty universal message.

Rating: 10/10 (It throws into question every stereotype about Japanese society being all about obeying the rules)

Conrad found a gym for Ewa which has rehabilitation instructors and we wandered up (3Km walk, another milestone). We negotiated the details of what we wanted, how much it was, filled in the forms and everything. The Lady had quite weak English and the forms were in Japanese so we were quite proud of ourselves as a team.
That is just an awesome vehicle. In some ways I hope it isn't something official but in many ways I hope it is.

Then she hauled out the "if you have tattoos don't even bother" clause which is in English. Ewa has a unique Pretty Lady Tattoo. We left.
It might only be temporary but Japan just lost a few points in the "where shall we set up permanent residences" competition. To combat the sadness we stopped for a beer. The place was so good we went back for dinner. Also arguably because google translate said one of the dishes was Evil Beef Rib. Challenge accepted.

Food & Beverage Review: Meat Bye (Opposite CBC building)

I am not sure about the name, it might be Meat Bie. Stupid cool kids making logos with things in them instead of letters. I think it is also quite a new restaurant as I can't find it on google maps or a website or anything.
And Ewa jumped right on that bandwagon
It looks to be a heavily female friendly place. I didn't know what the baskets under the table were for until I saw the (predominantly female) clientèle putting bags and jackets into them.
Even the large group, which had some guys in it, the obvious social heavy hitter in the group was a Lady. This was especially noticeable because most of the places we have been cater very much for the Males.
You can still smoke at the table obviously, just because it is female focussed doesn't mean they are silly
The reason this appeared even odder to me was that it is a MEAT MEAT MEAT place. In most western countries a menu featuring a preponderance of meat is more likely to be aimed at males.
Smushed avacado and raw prawns, they don't even phase me now. Simple and Great
I would also risk saying it is a kind of fusion cooking where grilled meat has been done with Japanese sensibilities.
Not so evil now are you! Beef & Wasabi
Prosciutto blue cheese salad. Eating this we discovered that all westerners should throw away their knives and forks when presented with a salad. Chopsticks are the perfect utensil. They are so ridiculously good we can't believe it is not just standard practice for us.
Initially we were just going to have a small dinner but after the Evil Steak and Salad I got a bit excited and wanted to check the Pork and Chicken.
Pork Steak. Almost a ham steak, ludicrously dense but still moist and happy. Pickled carrot sweet and sour.
Chicken. Peppery and citrus salt.
The portions were not "Big Joes Gut Busting Meat Fiesta" style but rather very nice cuts fried really well and presented simply. I pride myself on my beef steaks and this one is easily in the same league as me, the chicken seemed better produce than I can get but a similar style to how I like to do it. The pork beats me hands down. It showed me clearly how quite small dishes can work well. Getting all 3 was an act of investigation and I could have easily gone home happy after the shared steak and salad. 

Rating: 9/10 (We will be back to check it wasn't a one off, I will probably have to eat more than I need again)

No comments:

Post a Comment