Sunday 22 March 2015

2015-03-13: Doctors Clearance

The rules were that my Weight and Total Body Fat had to be under the 20 & 100 day moving averages if I were to be allowed a hotdog. Last nights kendo managed to kick them both into place quite solidly. Statistical analysis resulting Hot Dogs, hooray.

Food & Beverage Review: Polish Hot Dog

I don't know where I got the idea that Poles invented the so called American Hot Dog. I might have made it up. This hapens more often than you would expect.
Mall is no photos so I took them from behind not thinking that these two ladies don't give a shit and the mall cop is more likely behind me.
Anyway Poland has New York Hot Dogs. So if the Poles invented them it has gotten a bit weird.
Hand for scale. I have big old fisherman hands (not that I have done an honest days toil in my life probably, just genetic)
Not a bad hot dog. Crispy dried onions, lots of sauerkraut, the sausage had a nice snap to the skin and could reasonably be called meat.
Blatant Plus for the South California Naginata Federation.
The bun was steamed. Not such a fan of that. At the ice cream parlour I worked growing up in NZ we always used those spiked bun heaters that lightly toast the inside of the roll. I think I prefer that.

Rating: 5/10 (It was more just a silly reward to myself than a gastronomic desire)

We had the final doctor meeting today. Ewa is clear to fly and can take the cast off before getting on the plane which is handy. 2 more weeks in a brace which she hates but it is better than the combo brace and cast. He does seem a doctor more accustomed to dealing the old and infirm rather than strapping young lasses so his advice is a tad on the pessimistic side we think. When we get to Japan we can find a doctor that has experience with martial arts type people and get some additional advice.

We celebrated the cast removal advice with a visit to the number one rated place in Białystok on some useless web site or another.

Food & Beverage review: Sztuka Mięsa (Piece of Meat)

https://www.facebook.com/SztukaMiesa
The cab driver aid this place was full constantly on Friday nights. We are old so we went in the afternoon to avoid the cool kids. It is a 20 odd people place. Apparently an American chap decided Poland needed BBQ and opened here. There have been rumours of it expanding but the dominant theory is that he is afraid bigger will mean a drop in quality.
Cab driver also explained the flags are for a local team of sports. We are good at knowing sports. We know they exist
With my smoker I have done okay BBQ and so I was going to be rating this place based on BBQ skills. However on approaching there was no whiff of smoke in the air and I decided to change the review to be just "food in a comfortable setting".
They are right next door to the burger place that failed due to lack of booze. These guys have booze. I would retroactively remove a point from the burger place on this basis alone.
Start of beer
Sexy face to ensure more beer
The food was nice. That's all. I have never made decent BBQ ribs (except once and I might have just been crazy drunk at the time). These were better than most places but obviously boiled and finished in the oven which I think is just relying on the sauce.
Start of beer
Start of vodka, I have to get the drinks currently so sexiness is not required on my behalf
The Pork Butt was not pulled. I am okay with that but it means you gave me a steak which is not really what I was hoping for. It was nice as a pork steak, lots of char and still juicy and so on.
Knives of killing power too!
I wonder if, in hte vein of my series of cooking confusions, this guy has had to reign in his intents and try to make "BBQ for Poles".
Poles already exposed to BBQ don't wait for photos and just dive in (actually of course I am half arsed at remembering to take photos)
Obviously I would suggest he throw caution to the wind and let his seasoning skills speak for themselves but if the cab driver is right then he has made the right decision financially and the greatest good for the greatest number is the path to happiness.
And the greatest number is a small number anyway in this case, so screw them.
I am okay with John Bartlett as a guy, like I don't wish him specific harm, but why he gotta make Białystok a place without good BBQ?

Rating: 7/10 (If I lived there I'd go once a week so I could finally argue with the boss and make him do a good one or I would ship in kamados, hire a ute and set up a night time fancy meat stall which would drive him out of business, I would hate to do it because it would mean I had to do the work and I would rather eat)

No comments:

Post a Comment