Saturday 28 March 2015

2015-03-23: Curry For The Sickly

The Polish Kiddies tendency to pass us diseases given the chance has taken again. Ewa had a slight cold when we left Białystok, it has taken root and made it to me as well. Normally this means she will get better while I mutate it and then I give her the new improved version back. Hooray!

When I am sick I like spicy food. We have Curry on the checklist! Hooray. Thanks Polish Kiddies!

Tourist Checklist: CoCo Ichibanya

https://www.ichibanya.co.jp/english/
The basic idea is choose:
So much Manga
A sauce (pork, beef, hashed beef)
This is not the meat on top, just the sauce. It has a few small bits of meat in it but not a huge factor. Japanese curry tends towards sweet rather than chilli. I think the sweetness works better with pork. There are also other sauces but they are not in the menu under choices and the guy doesn't speak English so I am working on a point and gesticulate vaguely principle which means go for the easy options.
Takeout Bento, Chicken, Pork Sauce with pickles
Level of Spiciness
Spice level is from Base to 10. Base is the default. Apparently they claim you have to have had a 5 before you are allowed anything higher. On my I'm an uncouth heathen principle I tried a 3 (vaguely spicy) and a 5 (hotter but still nothing like a mild green thai curry by comparison). The spice doesn't have the lasting burn of chilli but it is a little zingy. No eyelid sweat though which is my baseline for whether something is hot.
Step One
Volume of Rice 
Default option is 300g. I doubt you want more. The sauce is adjusted to match the rice volume.
Two
Toppings
So many toppings! You can mix and match like crazy. If you want crumbed pork and a cheese stuffed hamburger patty (I did) you can have that if you wave and point enough. The menu only has a small list of toppings / additional things. But anything in the pictures is fair game for adding to anything else. I assume that is the case anyway, maybe he just wanted the crazy guy out of there as fast as possible.
Three and pour
You can add the toppings to the salads as well.

The guy taking my order finished up by saying Bento a few times. I was confused by this but don't know enough Japanese to disagree so I just said Hai a few times, threw in a bow to be safe and sat down in the library to wait.
This is too much food for us
We got takeout as delivery would be impossible, I can't even say my address. We shall return and eat in another time. When I got home I could sort of see why it is called Bento. My mum wants some Bento boxes, I doubt these would satisfy even if I washed them good...

Rating: 2/12 (and the food is an 8/10 on cold days)

Flakes on the roll with sweet curry sauce inside
Probably because I was deluded and feverish I had earlier decided to grab a Kare-Pan (Japanese Curry Bread). Then I grabbed two of the local stuffed breads as well.
Pizza and Burger stuffed sticky rolls
The Kare Pan is nice enough and definitely was the inspiration for having proper curry for dinner. The other two were a bit on the sticky side for me. Kind of like a not very good cha siu bao. They were from a convenience store though so might be better from other places.

Cultural Observations: Tissues

Lots of people in the street hand out packages of tissues. These are apparently a popular form of street marketing. I grabbed some for our sniffles.
Apparently I would not be allowed in the club advertised though
The tissues are not super great quality but they are free. I don't think you are meant to use them in public though. There is some Japanese thing about blowing your nose being really gross.

Rating: 7/10 (Free tissues, sexy pictures, what's not to like?)


No comments:

Post a Comment