Thursday 5 March 2015

2015-03-01: Flags and Horsies

This has been a very mild winter. I got in trouble for going to the shops in a T shirt. But it was sunny and ten degrees with no wind. Quite a lovely day. I think all of the American Anti Global Warming people crapping on about how "there is snow outside and so Global Warming isn't happening" might hate this photo:
Still not long or winding
Beginning of March and there is no snow, you may recall this road from our first visit to the horsies there was also no snow then either.
Not that it proves anything one way or the other but it is the exact same argument reversed.

Cultural Observations: Children and Jackets

In the same way that Poles keep wearing their super warm jackets at the mall children are protected from the elements in a manner that looks excessive to me.
Needs to work harder on colour coordination. I want 80's style purple and green alternating bands of colour!
I am beginning to think that it is extremely cold here sometimes and so people have just decided not to take a chance.
The smaller children often look cushioned enough to use as ballistic weaponry.

Rating (5/10: They shouldn't tempt me to throw children, I have bad impulse control)


On the way back from horsies there were several flags up. Each lamp post has mounting for 3 flags. All the lamp posts. Apparently on big fancy days each post gets it's three flags and people party.
And the flags were in my "Zone Of Interesting Things". I will explain this later.
No one is quite sure why the flags were up today and it was only a half arsed display. At first I thought "Oh it's the first, that is one of the Big Fancy Days here". Then I realised, wrong month.

Tourist Checklist: Big Fancy Days (Poland)

1. International Workers Day. May 1st is the communist celebration of the worker. Poles celebrate this by not working. When the commies left the Poles kept the day. This is because....
2. Constitution Day. Created after the commies left. Strategically on May 3rd. Odds of anyone turning up to work on the second? Not so high.

Rating: 8/10 (I like practical cynicism by politicians)

No comments:

Post a Comment