Friday 20 March 2015

2015-03-10: Souper

Dinner is not dinner if you don't have soup. We have had many different soups. My favourite soup has been chosen and today was made with steps.
So basic who needs tips?

First of all make the basic Vegetable soup up to the step where the potatoes are added. Do not add potatoes. Instead follow these steps:
Add These

This many

Fry some onions and pork lardons. I used to get excited by this step but it is a step in almost all dishes even if they aren't needed. I think everyone just feels safe knowing fried bacony bits are available if required.
Emotional Support In A Pan

Chuck some flour on the lardons and mix so it doesn't burn. This is where you are going to have to do some work, up til now it has all been "5 seconds work ten minutes vodka and beer". No Longer I Say!

The flour forms a white roux with the lardons, you stir to keep it white.
You didn't think there would be no potato did you?

The peas are now starting to soften (this photo was an hour ten minutes since the peas photo) so the potatoes you didn't put in before can be put in now.

Dump that roux into the soup. Commence stirring even more. Burny = Bad.

And now show some Genius From The Antipodes! I liked the fire roasted kielbasa on the kuligi (horsey sled) in Zakopane. I thought we could have that with the soup or as a main dish after the soup or something. Basically I wanted fried kielbasa and was happy with however I got it.

For some reason everyone was acting weird and not understanding very well. Apparently fried kielbasa is kind of viewed as a very lazy option and probably something even I should be above. After recalibration of exactly how high my standards are, everyone agreed I could have fried kielbasa.

Then I got to do science deciding whether split kielbasa is better than round, whether bread is needed, is mustard optional and so on.
Science involves eating a lot of soup

 
 
Winning Decision: Split kielbasa fried, cut into 1 inch pieces, throw in soup. Eat with bread. Spurn mustard.

We Have A Weiner!
Judges decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
Judges decision not applicable to all wishing to partake

No comments:

Post a Comment