Saturday 28 March 2015

2015-03-25: Fine Students We Shall Be

We have applied for a Japanese teacher. Ewa covered almost 2 Km on her crutches walking up to the YWCA and back. So two goals in one day!

Tourist Checklist: Mecha Godzilla & Ninjas


Spraying down the Mecha Godzilla while he eats your city is not going to stop him
At first I was just happy I got some decent shots of him eating, then I noticed the ninjas in the scaffolding
I guess OH&S is not so big here, although it should be noted he is actually wearing a harness, just not clipped onto anything. I saw some of these guys up close and they do wear ninja shoes with the separated toe. Also the guys I saw were wearing Hakama (kind of like culottes) which, in my mind, are a martial arts thing.
Obviously Hakama are a normal bit of clothing with centuries of use so I shouldn't be surprised to see them in a different context.

Rating: 8.5/10 (Raaaaarghhhh)


Wind not evident.

Sign Review: Happy Rabbits Verboten!

I am not sure leaving the gate open is the stereotypical reason Rabbits are happy

Rating: 9/10 (or maybe it just saying don't dress your rabbit like people)


Wind evident via Domino Effect
Today was quite windy. With the wind the chill factor was quite fierce and I started to regret leaving all my winter clothes in Poland. Ewa stole Conrads gloves and we two manly men struggled on trying not to complain much.

Activity Review: The Planning Stage

For dinner we went back to the Izaka that is always full, we got seats at the counter this time as just two of us and they aren't going to waste one of their 6 or 7 four person booths on 2 people.
This was meant to remind me of something. Normally photos work well for that but when I can't read the text it makes for a slightly less useful technique.
Sitting at the counter meant we could watch the Sushi Dude slicing and rolling and then he just reached over to put it in front of us. I noticed he was using one of the same knives I have (but left in Poland) then I got a bit obsessed with his rice rolling dexterity.
The look of disbelief could have been related to comments about the knife which might have implied some kind of similarity between Sushi Dude and Me.
In Sydney I made sushi a few times for the Ladies. Each piece took forever and was never the right size or consistency. 
Pork and Sweet sauce might have inspired me
I had a brilliant idea. If we go back often enough before Sushi season finishes he will get used to us. Then I ask him if he can open the restaurant early one day and give me a bit of training. It can be my present to Ewa! I am a Kind (and Generous) Man.

Rating: 9/10 (It Still Seems Like A Great Idea Unlike So Many Others I Have)

Oh Great. Fish Jerky. Our Apartment is 28 square metres. The stench will carry.
Polish Vodka costs the same here as it does in Poland
Alcohol and Cigarettes cost the same here as they do in Poland. However the cost of living and most other things cost about the same as Australia. I think that means that booze and fags are basically free here. This may explain some aspects of Japanese Culture.

Scotches are weird. In Poland scotch prices are roughly the same as in Australia. Here they look about half either countries price.
The Japanese economy is confusing. Still thinking it through and asking questions which at each iteration show me I still don't have a clue how it works. I might need to go to a supermarket to order my thoughts and gather on the ground data.

So close Mr Blond...
I have also been looking at license plates. Lots of them only have a couple of numbers on them. I was thinking that is weird as there are some three or four million people here.

Then I realised that just because the squiggly bits don't mean anything to me and I can't resolve the differences from more than a few feet away doesn't mean they are not there for a purpose.

Sometimes I can be rather slow on the uptake. I hope our Japanese teacher has experience with Special Students.


No comments:

Post a Comment