Friday 28 August 2015

2015-07-18: Car Culture

We have noticed that Californians love their cars. Public transport not so much. I did a google maps check for how to get to training the other day and it was an hour by car. Walking was 3.5 hours.
Public transport was 3.75 hrs. Public transport was longer than walking there!
Stupid EPA making me put stickers of flames on instead of the real thing
After last nights fun with the cab driver I got annoyed and installed Uber on my phone. Cab drivers are starting to really annoy me here. They are just like the ones in Sydney. They seem to be constantly trying to scam you. Last night the guy got lost and then his card reader didn't work meaning an 0200 stop at an atm and general hassle. In Sydney not a lot you can do about it. Here Uber is widespread and popular.
I so hope that the state which put Schwarzenegger into power actually had a Krom senator. I want to believe it so much I won't even google it to check.
In the back of my mind I always wonder what scam cabbies are trying to pull and who it is going to affect when they do their annoying things.
Uber on the other hand, based on one ride, is fast and easy. No payment issues, no direction issues "because I don't trust GPS" and so on.
At the dojo.
Plus it is their own car and Californians love their cars so it was in good condition, had usb chargers, water etc.
Even if our huge bag of armour and sticks gave him a bit of a scare at first.
I can see why cabbies the world around are scared of Uber et al. Even if I might not be completely comfortable with the whole setup as it currently is.
We trained with some more locals and did a wee demo of jukendo. There is quite a bit of enthusiasm for jukendo here. Including current and ex marines.
I suspect I may have just added another countries military to the list of people that get to poke me with a stick.

No comments:

Post a Comment