Saturday 22 August 2015

2015-07-06: White Lies


We made it to the Stampede Rodeo (extra cost but gets you into Stampede for free) in time for the opening ceremony.
Devil Went Down To Georgia with a fire belching tuba. Doesn't beat Primus as my favorite cover of the song but pretty good. Especially considering no violin.
I wasn't aware New Zealand was present at this event. I wasn't aware Australia was either but Australia isn't so at least my lack of awareness was actually correct in that regard.
I do keep forgetting which flag I am currently swearing allegiance to but pretty sure that was mine right there.
Amongst other things we don't know much about is Rodeo.
I know there is a movie called 8 seconds that had bulls in it so I believe that is an important benchmark of some type or another for the bull riding.
Cowboys on Trapezes. You can see which one has a girlfriend that works in a burlesque theatre.
The Catch a Terrified Cow and Tie It Up game I have no idea about but it appears to be just time based.
You can go a long way in 4 seconds.
Problem is that the time is so quick, many people were doing around 4 seconds, that it looks like a reaction game where a single screw up means you lose.
My favourite cowboy photo ever. Responsible cowboys hold the cigarette away from the child.
Despite our regular joining in for activities we are not really sports spectator people. Mostly the things I like doing I find kind of boring to watch. Kind of like watching someone drink a beer is kind of boring even if they drink it really super fast.
Fortunately I have no idea how to ride a bull so it is still pretty fun to watch. And of course gives me ideas of things I ought to try. I looked online and there are places that teach you bull riding. I figure if a place charges you to learn something they probably don't want you to die.
I am cognisant of the fact that a broken bone is a 6 month recovery period with a few month ramp up afterwards before you can train again so I am not going to do it now with my possible grading in 9 months and certain sensei mentioning I need to train hard to get there.

But the adrenaline burst those things must release seems a pretty fun thing to try. We may have to return to the US earlier than planned. Unless other countries can come up with equally dumb things to do which have a semi logical way to explain it to others that have concerns about my lack of self preservation.
They called it a Savoury Sundae, it was mashed potato, Ewa was in Polish Princess Heaven.
Unfortunately for the bull riders we don't know enough and got bored and wandered off. I am sure they had plenty of fans willing to stay and watch.
We wandered into the Cutting Competition. I did not know this game existed. This game is great.
The guy in the check shirt dives his horse like a stunt driver in a london cab. Turns on a dime while he says things to other cab drivers which make them all chortle
  1. Get some cows in a group
  2. Tell the cowboy which one you want to give medicine to
  3. The cowboy (girls and boys are both good at this) separates the single cow from the herd
  4. The cow tries to return
  5. The horsie jumps around like a dog playing with a ball
  6. The cow is thwarted at each attempt to return and gives up and wanders away towards the vet
The horsies in this event are fantastic! The cowboys are pretty cool at doing the selection and letting the horsie know which cow is to cut from the herd but then it is just a matter of staying on the horse while it does some incredible jumping around.
 
  
Granted staying on the horse is impressive but the way the horsies jump around is something I have never seen before. It is like when you see a labrador bouncing on its front paws waiting for you to throw a ball. 
 
 
I would like to learn this and I think it has way lower chance of serious injury. I suspect it requires a pretty well trained horsie. When we return we need to make friends with serious cowboys.
I figure the American cowboys might be too scared of the froggy language to try the food. I will be their compassionate guide.
I figure making friends with cowboys will require good poutine knowledge. I am ready for this challenge. Especially when I saw they had peas and chicken poutine.

Ewa seems to think my plans are sensible and the best way for us to move forward in out lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment