Friday 14 August 2015

2015-06-28: Mad Men We Are

We are ensconced in our dwellings. They are not quite what the website had pictured.
This looked cuddly and fun, plus elegant
Apparently the cabins shown on the website are not the ones which the website sells. Kind of weird.
Slightly too cuddly but it does have beer (and a similar window)
We are committed now though and upgrading to the fancy ones from the photo would make the math proving this to be a sensible choice of travel no longer work.
In their defence the websites do actually call the top one Prestige class and the one we got Sleeper Plus class. In my defence who remembers the stupid labels people put on the different classes when you cannot actually buy one of them. I just picked the most expensive and assumed that was the prettiest. I didn't even look at the Sleeper Plus class pictures.

Fortunately we are used to rather small rooms after our apartment in Japan. We are lovely agreeable people and find each others company splendid.
If TV has taught me anything it is that The Draper Manor should have more scotch
Occasionally we bicker about who came up with the latest stupid idea (often early morning training - usually I get blamed even when I have proof that I am innocent) or who forgot to buy enough booze for the train trip (usually me again - usually true) but it is a loving banter more than a confined room hostility. We should both survive.
Admittedly we are a long train as well and I am sure the logistics of long trains manoeuvring on a single track is fun.
The train arrived in Toronto late last night, a couple of hours behind schedule and getting out of Toronto took a few hours. Apparently the rail tracks are prioritised for freight and the Trans Canada train gets pushed to the side regularly. Not really an issue for us but for anyone using this as a scheduled means of transport this would be well worth knowing.
Pretty scenery drifting by.
After watching the pretty lights for an hour or two we drifted into a lovely snooze. A rocking rattling train really is a lovely way to sleep. If I ever have a spare area of land I will build a train track with sleeper cars and start a business solving Insomniacs Life Difficulties.
Elegant! This could be any meal of the day as we are not really in sync with any time zone, there is beer so probably lunch or dinner just because of licensing regulations.
I will probably have to hire a Canadian cook to provide breakfast. Or at least buy a lot of Maple Syrup. I will also lay in supplies of beer. I won't abide by their weird Canadian rules of what time beer can and cannot be served. We are on a train and moving through timezones. We don't have to follow the White Mans Rules!
Sausage with Syrup? Yes please. Hash Brown? not so good with syrup.
So far the landscape has been much the same. Lots of swampy land around the tracks and mostly flat to the horizon. Tons of trees. I am pretty sure I have seen a beaver. I am pretty sure that my definition of Having Seen A Beaver will ensure any travellers through canada will be happy.

Tourist Checklist: Beaver Spotting

No piles of sticks
1. Beavers live in water
2. Beavers live in piles of sticks
3. Beavers are brown
Too far to see cat size objects
4. I am not 100% how big they are but I think about the size of a cat.
5. They don't really do much interesting 
I consider this success. My life is pleasantly easy.
Which means if you see something brown not doing much in the water near a pile of sticks you have probably seen a beaver.

Rating: 9/10 (Both for ease of success and actual success)


No comments:

Post a Comment