Tuesday 1 September 2015

2015-07-19: The Continuing Search

Of all the fast food available in America burgers are really winning me over. I had thought I was going to fall under the sway of sweet smokey low and slow barbecue but mostly pulled pork is of a dubious quality here. It reminds of when pulled pork became popular in Sydney and I got all excited until I found it was almost uniformly awful dry shredded pork with no smokeyness and lack lustre sauces.
Squirrel!
Actually what annoyed me more was when they took that dreck and then showed their Creative Skills by using it for fusion dishes. There is a reason pulled pork has several traditional ways of serving it; they work really well. On top of which if you can't make the bloody stuff properly mixing it into a Sang Choy Bao inspired mouthful delivered on a spoon is not going to suddenly make it any good.
Unlike Sydney there actually are good places for barbecue. The identifying feature generally is that barbecue is all they do. A place that has pulled pork as an option on the menu beside all the other standards is unlikely to make you happy.
Want 5 Guys nuts? heh.
The locals here seem to generally avoid the fusion style embarrassments, no doubt from fear of the local version of the fire-bombings I fantasised about in Sydney when the pig and I were both insulted, they do sell consumer grade flame throwers here after all. But the barbecue is still usually not that good.
http://throwflame.com/ you can buy extra napalm at the site.
Burgers seem to have a benchmark below which arsonists actively remove evidence with alacrity.
Or maybe my standards are not as high for burgers. Anyway word of mouth is that In-N-Out and 5 Guys are the best of the chains.

Food & Beverage Review: 5 Guys

"I'm eating 5 guys tonight" and other great double entendres helped Ewa ignore the semi tropical rain storm that we strolled through. We are informed that 5 Guys uses wrapping for their burgers which renders them sub par if carried home even if only for a few minutes, we shall eat in.
oh. yeah I screwed up again.
The rain wasn't really cold enough to claim we needed winter fighting quantities of grease and meat but I forgot. Plus with Al having departed my ordering strategy is failing again; I can't order the best things for three people anymore. So I ordered for 4.
A cup of chips was an interesting touch, especially as the guy bagging everything up appears to fill the cup and then just throw all remaining chips he has into the bag. Kind of makes the cup redundant. Maybe some people want the cup because it adds a touch of class to the proceedings. Chips from the sacks of seafood place the other night are probably the best chips I have had in ages. I spent a lot of time learning to make good chips a few years back, theirs were better than mine. Mine are better than these. These are better than In-N-Out's.
Hotdog puns are hilarious as well
Burgers are of the dense and greasy style which is fine with me. Interestingly you pay by how many bits of meat are on your burger then all the additions are free I think. I got to say "I like 5 guys buns" and it was the truth.
Tolerant (and soaked) Lady

All things being equal I prefer the In-N-Out burger (greasier) and Ewa prefers these (garbage ier). In-N-Out burgers travel better and that means you can have a beer with them.

Rating: 7/10 (no beer. I don't get this no beer thing. burgers are better with beer).

No comments:

Post a Comment