Friday 21 August 2015

2015-07-03: Horsies and Bulls and Dogs

Today is the First Day Of Stampede!
Stampede opens with a parade. Miki tells us the parade starts at 0700. She also mentioned getting a good view is tricky after that. At 0630 she had the kids ready to go.
I had Ewa ready to go too. Not as cheerful as the other kids though.
One thing Miki didn't mention is whether she had every gotten to the parade this early before. I have a feeling that Miki is pushing herself harder than normal to ensure she is a good host.
Bad Boy and his horse, he is not allowed cigars which I felt would complete the look.
We got a great position but the first hour or two of the parade is less than overwhelming. Once it gets going it is pretty cool. There is the obvious huge numbers of horsies from various groups participating in the Stampede. We haven't done much research and mostly just make guesses as to whether someone is a politician or a rider based on the amount of denim.
The Zumba group was one of the early slightly baffling participants.
Indonesian cultural group got things going with some fighting and dancing and superman tattoos
Mounties. They used to say One Riot, One Mountie. This does not bode well for the rest of the day.
Modern Mounties. Not sure if Part of Parade or working.
If it is available as a ride we will not be taking it. We just got off the damn thing.
Lots of the indigenous tribes, quite a few riding bareback
Despite my pictures there were a lot of horsies, which also meant a lot of horse poo and an awesome poo cleaner
The tank drivers were a touch excitable, doing spins and high speed stops, so it was good the group in front was just a marching band, no one would miss a marching band
Shriners! I started singing Chemical Warfare by The Dead Kennedys
Then realised I was being stupid. Chemical Warfare is off Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables not FrankenChrist
Mounted Lacrosse. I think yesterdays experience has cautioned me against rushing headlong into learning this...
I think I know why we need multiple Mounties. This is one of the scariest things I have seen in my life.
I think these guys were meant to be in the Inexplicable Morning Section of the parade but slept in.
By early afternoon the kids were sleepy and I was thirsty. Miki took the kids to that magic place that tired children go to and we went to my own magic place.
The bar had the feeling of an impending storm. Lots of obviously Hired For The Rush staff standing around waiting for things to go mental.
Whiskey range on the small side but they will never run out
These temporary staff were generally easy to identify as they were all female, all looked a bit confused and also had vast amounts of cleavage. I know lots of Ladies have a habit of keeping things in their bra: phones, cash etc I assume these Ladies had made room to hold the vast quantities of tips they were expecting.
I only ate one to find out if corn dogs are as bad as I expected. They are. The batter is slightly sweet.
One of our checklist items for the stampede is Slutty Cowgirls. These staff members do not count as Slutty Cowgirls. We shall have to forge onwards.

Tourist Checklist: Slutty Cowgirl Spotting

1. Cowboy Hat. Seems obvious but it needs to be made clear
2. Cowboy Boots. See above, surprising how many failed these two
A Slutty Cowgirl can be suggestive with a corndog but this is not a requirement
3. Cleavage. This can be achieved several ways but the tied plaid shirt is preferred
4. Midriff. Now you see why the tied shirt is best, sleeveless best
No midriff, doesn't count. Bringing your own Slutty Cowgirl doesn't count either obviously.
5. Denim. I feel it is required
6. Doing it by choice, none of the Tent girls, Redbull girls etc count.

Rating: 0/5 (So far none but I expect at least 5 good examples)

We expect the Stampede grounds to have a wide range of Slutty Cowgirls amongst other things. One of the better areas is likely to sell beer. TripleB seems the place to be.

Activity Review: Bull Riding

TripleB is Beer, BBQ and Bulls. BBQ they certainly have in vast quantities.
Beer they have and after a couple the Bull seems a good idea too.
Ewa won at bull riding
 
 
TripleB has a smoking area. You are not allowed to take your beer into the smoking area. That was weird.

Rating: 8/10 (I am glad we ate after the bull)

No comments:

Post a Comment