Wednesday 26 August 2015

2015-07-13: Taking Advice

Together Ewa and I have watched all of the Man Vs Food series. Part of it is the morbid fascination with the competitive eating element but an awful lot has been what we class as research. Occasionally I even bookmark the names of places that are visited and look interesting. Preparedness!
Looks like relaxation but actually research.
One place that doesn't need a bookmark is In-N-Out Burger (http://www.in-n-out.com/). Too many of the people I, if not respect, at least pay attention to claim it as one of the best chain places. Anthony Bourdain for example claims that when he arrives in LAX the first stop is at In-N-Out.
Each of the stores in this electronics chain has a theme, this one is "Ancient Rome or Greece or something" according to a staff member
It must be noted that I pay attention to Mr Bourdain more out of respect for his drug addled past and booze fueled present than for any culinary attributes he may have.
Logically to appreciate the burgers the way that Bourdain does I should probably be in the frame of mind he would be when he gets his craving.
I am not a historian but I suspect the anachronisms annoy those that are.
Taking a flight just so I am tired, somewhat annoyed and have partaken of the airline booze seems a little complex. We went organising mobile technology for the next leg of our journey, seemed a reasonable substitution. Phone companies are awful the world over (Virgin Canada was weirdly simple comparatively but still annoying) and I assumed (correctly) that the US system would be suitable for creating a back of the skull throb.
Having a Colosseum is not a wise choice. It only gave me ideas.
I assume this throbbing is caused by my pre frontal cortex over riding my amygdala. That amygdala is a funny old organ isn't it. All just Rage, Rage, Rage, Kill, Kill, Kill and so on. Good to let it off the chain every once in a while.
Booze will shut that stupid cortex down a bit, then we can dance in blood
Suitably fuelled up on death hormones and with The Hunger upon me we commenced.

Food & Beverage Review: In-N-Out Burger

These guys invented the secret menu I think. If they were the first and it was just people being silly with their drunken customers I am okay with it. I can see how it would happen; once Myles and I were endearingly drunk and ordered a double bacon cheese burger with an extra slice of cheese between each slice of anything else. We called it the King-Arse Burger and insisted on the staff calling it such. Their manager was out so they did. Made us happy, made them happy.
The Code word for this order was "All the burgers, give me all of them"
McDonalds has recently announced it has a Secret Menu. This enrages me. It is like council commissioned graffiti. Corporate sucking of the soul of rebellion. If I used twitter I would devote myself to using inexplicable corporate hashtags on my unrelated mini rants.
I don't use twitter because it takes me 100 words just to get a rant started.
They call them "Animal Fries" I call them "Fries with all the American shit you can find chucked on top"
The burgers are actually pretty good for a chain. Quite simple and dense which is my preference. I like a simple thick medium rare but charred patty and bad american cheese. Ewa did get the closest they have to a Garbage Garden Burger (burger with half the vegetable crisper thrown on there). Her type of burger is usually best from a standalone place and we know it so no disappointment there.
The fries were not that good but I ran out of burgers and ate them anyway. Amygdala assuaged.

Rating: 8/10 (avoid the fries, eat them at home so you can have beer, be hungry, otherwise probably a 6)

No comments:

Post a Comment