Friday 21 August 2015

2015-07-04: Rectification Of Failure

Miki has heard of our (my) ineptness when it comes to planning and Canadian geography. She has rubbed salt in my wounds by knowing where the Rockies are and planning to take us there.
Lac Louise. Because Froggies come here too.
She also knows where a lovely little lake is. I overheard one of the tour guides telling a story about how the lake is named after the daughter of the guy that discovered it.
His and Hers T Shirts. Very Romantic.
Wikipedia claims the Louise in question is the 4th daughter of Queen Victoria. I find these two stories hard to reconcile. The tour guide story was more romantic which is probably why there were so many people there.
It is a very pretty lake though regardless of who Louise was. Wikipedia claims the turquoise blue water is due to Rock Flour. That isn't very romantic. I didn't hear the tour guide explain it but I am guessing it is because of tears of the mountain gods or something similar. No way all the people came to look at a suspension of rock flour.
Lake Louise is near Banff.
Scenic Driving
I like to say Banff so I sat in the back seat on the way there. Ewa had headphones on practicing Japanese and so is not aware of just how well I can say Banff. Mostly I go with the German pronunciation, I am not sure how to say Banff with a japanese accent, I should probably study more.
Banff has two mountains overlooking it but they both look the same so I only took a photo of one of them

Banff is apparently named after a place in Scotland. Which is weird, I didn't know there were many Germans in Scotland. In my mind Banff is an expensive ski resort however it apparently enforces a set of rules around town residents with the aim of making sure there is adequate housing for the people that live there and the people that work there.
It even looks more German tan Scottish. Definitely more than Japanese as well.
This makes sense but I couldn't find out how the system works. We should have stopped at a bar, I am sure there would have been a couple of drunk guys that would explain it to me in a style I would both appreciate and understand.
At first I assumed it was a Gay Nightclub.
In the spirit of being proper tourists I bought a souvenir. I have always loved the pyjamas in Ren & Stimpy. I have never seen a pair in adult sizes.
Hint of Lumberjack for manliness
We will have an empty suitcase when we return to Japan so I bought a pair. It is a tourist town so it does have suggestive wording on the bum.
Hint of Bum Dancing for childishness.
It is too warm to wear them much at the moment but I am sure I will confuse and upset a lot of people next winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment