Thursday 15 January 2015

2015-01-14: Last Minute Ratings

Tourist Checklist: Gubałówka


We are ludicrously bad at tourism. I lived in Sydney for some 25 years and only managed to do a bunch of the tourist things in the weeks before leaving. Ewa is just as bad.
We have passed it several times.
This morning she realised that if we came back from Zakopane without having been up the funicular to the ski field above the town we would be taunted mercilessly. She has been told it is incredible.
Not even as steep as the Big Boy Ski Slope
It's a funicular. Personally they have never been much of an excitement and the view is about the same as from the ski slopes we spent all week at. And I much prefer the ski lift for the ride factor.
This took me a minute to figure out
The shops at the top are pretty much the same as the ones at the bottom. Granted it only costs 20zł to get up and down but unless there were people doing jumps at the ski field (which would be cool to watch) I don't see any reason to choose it over any other place with a view.
More houses than the other mountain shots I have taken.
And the grzaniec is the second best brand.
I suspect it might be more fun in summer as they have one of those wheeled luge tracks which would be fun. Probably just for kids though.
Sunbeds not required today.

Rating: 4/10 (call it 6 if you haven't seen anything from higher than street level)

I am a trustworthy (and passionate) reporter so when I said I was going back to the same steak house today I meant it. I had the mutton again with Galonka, Ewa went all trout and potatoes.
Healthy Diets For All!
Was not quite as good as yesterdays but still would easily be on my list of places I would return to if I was back in Zakopane.
Was much larger than the ones in the window. Tasty though.

However I am not, we grabbed a bus and high-tailed it to Krakow to stay with the Wild Walnut Woman of Krakow. She was upset that we didn't want to eat, especially because she hadn't prepared anything again. We will have to take care around her. I suspect she is capable of dropping little bits of food into our mouths while we sleep. We shall take turns sleeping to keep guard.

Sign review: Sisi Caffe

If they were Spanish I guess it would make more sense.

Rating: 5/10 (Didn't try the coffee though)

Cultural Observations: Ulice Tadeusza Kościuszki (Ted Kosi Osko Street)

Every town and city has this street (I have been to 4 towns and cities so I am petty safe there).
Australia has this fellows name in use as well. Mount Kosciuszko. Same guy. Tadeusz Kościuszko.
Poles love when you pronounce his name correctly.

Rating: 7/10 (I am going to do it again and again)



No comments:

Post a Comment