Tuesday 13 January 2015

2015-01-12: Bragging and Boasting (plus random stuff)


Beginners slope
I had been up most of the night working so I didn't really feel like skiing and was pretty sure that 2 hours would be plenty for me.

I have had two 2 hour ski lessons with Jurek. Prior to that I tried skiing in Norway 25 years ago for maybe half an hour and spent it all on my bum. I have never been that good at activities going forward (ice skating, roller skating, Kendo etc). All of the things I am good at have been sideways (skateboarding, naginata) even then I have not exactly amazed anyone with the speed of my progress.

Today I figured I knew enough theory that another lesson wasn't really worth paying for; I just needed to practice over and over the things that Jurek and Ewa had told me. Ewa quickly got bored of watching me struggle and went on her merry way. She rode the big boys slope a few times.
Poland added to Apres Ski == Much drinking
After about 5 or 6 goes down the beginners slope it all clicked for me and I started going fast and doing big sprays of snow and stuff. It was actually fun in an exciting way rather than fun in a "this is hard" way.

That snowplough thing is a stupid idea and I don't why they bothered trying to teach me it. And all that hips and arms and stuff didn't work for me either. You just put your feet in the right place and adjust your weight and centre of gravity and it all works. For the "skating on skis" thing when you want to get going fast you have to keep your foot flat when you lift, this I haven't perfected yet. And I only managed to use the sticks to turn super sharp a couple of times. Mostly the sticks are useless for me at the moment. When I learn stuff my arms are usually the last to join in. Stupid arms.

Ewa started getting cold and so we joined up for a last couple of runs together. She says I am now better than her and will have to start waiting for her. And I am allowed on the big boy slope tomorrow. We are going to have Jurek give me another lesson, partly so I learn how to approach steep slopes but mostly so Ewa can show off her Surprisingly Skilful (and Sexy) Ski Man to him.

Plus I want to learn to ski backwards now, all the cool guys in the blue instructor shirts do it.
Much happier than this guy

 In the end it was so much fun that we did over 4 hours and I was a happy bouncy little hyperactive kiddie.
To celebrate I ate a chicken. Traditions and all that.
Lack of sleep, adrenaline come down and more work meant no more activities today. So here are some semi random things that haven't fitted anywhere else.

I think he was looking for ducks.
Fally down house next door.
On the way to the ski field.
Penis measuring chart at the chicken place.

Sign review: Live Carp, Zakopane

Super Prices! Cash and Carry Brutal!
I am not sure "crushing the worms out of apples brutally" translates to English in the context of live fish sales.

Rating: 5/10


Of course tomorrow I will be confident and destroy myself. I have insurance and can work from a hospital bed though so nothing to concern yourself with.

No comments:

Post a Comment