Wednesday 14 January 2015

2015-01-13: Effusive

(Quick request, I think my net connection in Zakopane was bad and that is why some photos seem to have broken, am fixing them but if you see a busted one flick me a comment please, cheers)

I did a couple of quick warm up runs on the beginners slope to remember what I learned yesterday then met Jurek for my lesson. We went down the beginners slope once and he said "okay now we do the big slope". On the way up to the big boy slope he mentioned "sometimes people advance very quickly".

An Okay View
Given that he also said the view "was okay" I take this as pretty high praise.
Admittedly it was a little chilly up there

From that point on it was all about what I am doing wrong though. And on the big boy slopes there were lots of things I did wrong and the steepness / speed made it more apparent. I still can't snowplough.

Oh well one day of being the fastest kid on the beginners slope was good, now I just have to learn lots more and go fast on the big boy slopes. Afterwards Ewa and I played on the big boy slopes a bit and had a beer at the top.

Big Boy Slopes Use Muscles. Big Boys Grow Muscles With Meat.

Food and Beverage Review: Stodoło Steak and Grill

Hot wine is best from an urn. Because you get it fast.
We are regulars here as it is in the middle of the main street and has an acceptable grzaniec wino in big urns out the front, Ewa cannot pass it without grabbing one.
Huge pans of roasting meat makes me say rude things.
After the travesty of the previous steak place we had to try another one.
No wait staff lounging on the bar and I had drinks in front of me. Good Start!
They have mutton grilled with garlic and rosemary. I haven't had mutton since leaving NZ. Firm texture, salty, hot and tasty juices all in the bottom of the plate. Had some sauces with it but they weren't needed.
Potatoes in the back. Did not last long enough for dedicated photo
Szaszlek was the backup order and was decent, fat was rendered well, pieces of meat were smaller and cooked nicely.
Sauces Sampled Simply as Science
Grul is Highlander speak for potatoes. These were Ewa's favourite, baked potatoes with piles of garlic cream sauce. We had to get a cab home because she couldn't stop eating them (nothing to do with my legs being shot).

I was thinking of using my Highland cultural knowledge and insulting the accordion player.
They have traditional live music after 18:00. But we finished eating in time to make it clear before they started.

Rating: 8/10 (only one day left in Zakopane and I am coming here again)


The other day after skiing we were walking back to town down a gentle incline which was covered in ice, snow and melt water. I was all excited and started kicking a block of ice along. Ewa joined in and we soon had a decent game of "kick the can" going. Not one of our smarter moments but we didn't fall and break anything. The close calls did get us thinking though.

Equipment Review: Temporary Crampons (55zł at Mountain Warehouse)

These are great. Bit tricky to put on at first and they do have a habit of falling off but that is probably my fault for putting them on wrong. I think I have figured it out better now.
When they are on the functionality is excellent. We strode like proud kings leaving the miserable peasantry to hobble along, arms flailing, in our wake.

We bought a couple extra as gifts for the Wild Walnut Woman of Krakow (we must try and convince her to move to Wrocław for better alliteration).

Rating:7/10 (will be 10/10 once I figure out how to put them on so they don't fall off)

Plans:
  • Go back to Krakow en route to Białystok.
  • Check the central market survived without me.
Longer Term Plans:
  • Play some Kendo in Białystok
  • Trick the Kendo guys into playing against me with my Naginata



No comments:

Post a Comment