Thursday 25 June 2015

2015-05-16: Drawings of my Thoughts

 All countries have pizza. This may not be true but a country that doesn't have pizza is a country I suspect will soon have pizza. It's a pretty basic idea: some bread, sauce, melty bits are good. Pretty hard to see anyone hating it.
Deepite looking the worst I think this is the best pizza we have had in Japan. Basic Cheese.
Which is not to say that the pizza you love and hold dear to your sweaty heart is a pizza that will exist in the country you find yourself in.
Despite looking the best this is the worst. The crust reminded me of The Young Ones: "You know it is amazing what you can make with just flour and water" "Yeah..... glue!"

The Poles love mayonnaise and sweet corn on their pizza, the idea of not adding tomato sauce from a squeezy bottle offends them.
Italians take it all too seriously and think the idea of hot bread with stuff on it is theirs to determine the validity of.
I always have a backup plan.
Norwegians, when I was there, loved thin frozen pizza that you heat in the oven for a late night snack which can also be liberally sprayed with tomato sauce.
I have heard Japan has decided to, as usual, try and outdo everybody else at the thing they claim to have invented. Unfortunately it seems the Japanese are trying to outdo Polish Pizza rather than, say, Italian.
Plastic pizzas to entice you in. They actually looked okay but I was on a mission for something else at the time.
We tried to order pizza from a place which promised to have a dedicated line for English speakers to use. Unfortunately it had an announcement on it which, whilst being a series of English words, made no sense at all and I think was trying to get at the idea that they were closed or didn't like me or something.
Guacamole served like a tub of ice cream is great.
I am told Japanese delivery chain pizza is a spectacle few would choose to encounter more than once. Unfortunately it appears we will have to wait until our next stay here before we have the opportunity to try it and swear it off forever.

Linguistic Skills: Kanji

I thought I had learned my first kanji the other day. However I do actually know a couple of them sort of by accident. I know "West" and "Gate" as they are two kanji which can be pronounced as "Sai" and "Mon" which is close enough to my name that I have it on some of my armour. Of course the kanji for West an also be pronounced Nishi and I think is used more often that way so Conrad calls me Nishi Mon.
So let's say I deliberately learned my first actually useful kanji the other day.
To me it looks like a drunk guy with a hat listening to me ranting about something.
They say kanji started as pictograms of the idea. I have decided to only learn kanji which have pictures in them which make sense to me and are useful to me.
So I learned the kanji for "Alcohol"

Rating: 8/10 (+1 because now I see it everywhere)

No comments:

Post a Comment