Wednesday 10 June 2015

2015-05-10: Local Celebrations

Nagoya is the fourth largest city in Japan. However it does not really crop up in the average foreign tourists plans. I think this has given the Nagoya City Council a little bit of an inferiority complex regarding Tokyo and Kyoto.
I think the bands are all from local music schools or something. The turnout kind of reflected that.
All Japanese that we meet on our jaunts knows Nagoya and (due to our extensive language skills and predilections) we normally end up talking about food. They all know Nagoya is famous for chicken. I guess if chicken is the standard comparative for any bland meat maybe Nagoya has become the chicken of tourist destinations. I like chicken and I like Nagoya so the idea sort of works.

Ewa was the only person dancing. She will dance to anything anywhere.
In what I assume is an attempt to make Nagoya more cultural and cool the main street in Sakae gets closed each weekend for people to walk around and do cultural things. Sakae is, I think, pretty much the suburb where everything happens.
Not sure if the rest of the audience were being reserved or if clapping politely is Japanese for Rocking Out
If you are visiting Nagoya try and get somewhere to stay close to Sakae would be my advice. Oh and if you are visiting Nagoya this site is far and away the best guide to what is going on in Nagoya. Hey I am being helpful. Awesome I knew it might happen one day.
Today's cultural event is Local Bands.
A homage to Yoko's screaming performances?

Food & Beverage Review: K's Pit Diner

mapref
Very Pink Website
Smashmouth is a diner with great burgers. This is not Smashmouth. I was trying to get to Smashmouth. Smashmouth is on my list of burger places to try with references to which burger to have and website reviews but not directions. It also has a typo on the list because Smashmouth is not Smashmouth. It is SmashHead.
I know it says Woods Diner but it isn't called that anyway
I think Smashmouth is a band that might have played ska music. They don't play Smashmouth here, the music is mostly 50's rock in keeping with the diner theme.
A Tolerant Lady.

They also have copies of the local White Boy magazine NagMag which is coincidently doing a burger review issue. This diner is not in the places reviewed. Smashhead is. It is only about 100 metres away.
Macaroni and Cheese side dish was an unusual touch.
It would be rude to come in here, get a magazine, cancel my order and go up the street though.

Rating: 6/10 (+1 for being there when I was confused though)

No comments:

Post a Comment