Tuesday 2 June 2015

2015-05-03: Hydration is important, but so is animal welfare

We have done a couple of training sessions in Jukendo and no one is dead. That makes our sensei trust us enough to suggest we do a weekend training camp with some local kiddies that are training for an upcoming shiai (competition).
A Strawberries and Cream sandwich for lunch because the pink makes me seem gentle
Meek and Mild
We have our doubts regarding our readiness for actual full speed fighting but bow to the wisdom of our Sensei. He has trained people before and presumably they didn't die. Although letting the bad ones die would be one way of ensuring he only had good students...
Even more strings than usual!

Food & Beverage Review: Sweat of The Elusive Pocari

I drink a lot of this
Pocari are a native species of Japan and are not found anywhere else in the world. Collection of the Pocari sweat is an industrial process nowadays. They are kept in vast industrial style hot rooms and are forced to wear those plastic suits boxers wear before a fight so they sweat out the extra kilos. The one the pocari wear has a small tap in the ankle and every hour the pocari line up for release like milking cattle. 
But never remember what the flavour is. Vaguely lemon I think.
The average pocari is the size of a kiwi. They are small and friendly animals that are hairless and wrinkly. Estimating a weight of about 5 kg I suppose that they could sweat maybe 200ml an hour without dying (assuming adequate rehydration and mineral intake).
On this basis I probably have a small family of pocaris output dedicated to my consumption. I hope they are well cared for.

Rating: 8/10 (If I find that the Pocaris are badly treated I will have a serious ethical dilemma on my hands)

Much harder to hit when the other guy is going for the same target.
We had basics training in the morning and then tournament practice in the afternoon. I managed to get half a point in one match by "encouraging" the other guy to step out of the court.

I also managed to make the judges laugh is disbelief as I attempted to change the side I held the gun on halfway through a match. They didn't know what I was doing at first then realised my naginata habits had kicked in. They found this hilarious as even if it is not against the rules there is no armour if you stand the other way.

I figure that is about 50 points I prevented from being scored
I had a tendency to fight using naginata techniques as well, they are all I know. This meant I made huge movements and effectively stopped people from scoring points by putting soft bits of my body in the way.

This may not be a style I choose to continue with.

No comments:

Post a Comment