Thursday 4 June 2015

2015-05-07: Dirty Lies Discovered

On the weekend we had Jukendo and became hungry. My post may have indicated we had a big dinner. This is a lie. On Sunday we had two big dinners. The first one was at Jerry's Uno. We returned to check if the food was as good as we thought or if it was just Rabid Food Monster opinions.
Jerry's is a chain. It does not look like a chain. And who would think Belgian Beers and Burrito's would have wide appeal.
When I was in San Jose I went to a taco place called Iguanas. At the time I was shocked at the size of the servings. In the intervening years Iguanas has been on a few of those Eating Challenge type tv shows. They feature a burrito which weighs 5lb (2.2Kg). Jerry's does not follow in those footsteps.
Dainty
The burritos (or soft tacos or whatever the hell they are supposed to be called - American food terminology confuses me - what is going on with Chicken Sandwich but Beef Burger when they are the same bloody thing? I think I figured this out once but have since forgotten) are small ish and not packed full to the point of exploding.
Of course you can have an exploding burrito by getting the excellent fajitas and rolling your own.
This makes for a more genteel and elegant eating experience than I am accustomed to when burritos are involved. Far less cleanup required.
Chilli con carne was how I finally managed to get food on me
This can't have been a directive from franchise management
The decor is kind of eclectic. I think the chain might be similar to other Japanese chains where it is more of an agreed general basis of a menu but mostly just about sharing the cost of marketing rather than a rigid formulation of How The Business Is Run. Many chain website have different menus for different locations.
Losing to a girl, how embarrassing!
They have an electronic dart board as well. These are popular here. I don't like them. The weight of the dart is wrong, the aerodynamics are wrong and often the dart bounces off the board. The electronic display distracts me too.
Acting innocent.
Plus I think The Princess cheats somehow.

Cultural Observation: Cutlery

At restaurants whenever there is a small basket of chopsticks and cutlery on the table it has a napkin over the utensils.
I have no idea why, it isn't well enough covered to prevent spills getting things dirty. Also it is usually over the handles which are probably the bit you care most about being clean.

Rating: 3/10 (Small things I don't understand infuriate me)


Second dinner was at Tiger bar for wings and cabbage.

No comments:

Post a Comment