Wednesday 3 June 2015

2015-05-05: Before it is not an option

We are informed that soon it will be too hot to eat sushi. I tend to question things that people tell me about their own countries. Like surely they have refrigeration here, if you can get safe sushi in Dubbo during a heatwave (which I never tested but was told when I was an apprentice sheep dog) then surely these guys can do it too.
Pork with red miso will probably be safe but I'll have some more just in case
Apparently the custom of displaying the fish at the counter can cause issues in summer. Makes little sense to me, it's probably cultural. It is also all the argument Ewa needs to decide we should eat more sushi while we can.

Food & Beverage Review: Fancy Sushi?

mapref
I don't know what the name of the place is and google maps once again isn't helping. The issue google has is that many places are multi-story and have different restaurants etc on each floor. Google maps tends to have one or two places per building so the above map ref is for (maybe) a pizza place. The other choice looked like a school. It's the right building anyway.

The fancy sushi place is on my least favourite floor; B1F. This is the first basement floor. I dislike this floor because whenever I see it I read it as BIFF which is norwegian for BEEF
The floor numbers are on the left, bit hard to see. This was from my worst case of misreading B1F ever. I wanted to go to the steak place on the second floor but it was closed then I saw B1F and got excited at a second chance. Stupid labelling.
I get excited thinking that I have found a meat lovers dream place; who else would have so simple a name and all in caps? Then I find out it is just a stinky pachinko parlour or, worse yet, an English Ex Pat Pub.
I suspect a terrifyingly fancy place wouldn't let me in given my usual attire anyway
We have been warned that going to a sushi place that doesn't have prices on the menu could be eye wateringly wallet lightening when the check comes. This place has prices, even if we can't read what the item the price is for. So I guess it isn't that fancy. 
A pot like this screams fancy to me, but it could be just the pickle jar
Fancier than our usual Izakaya which has Ewa's favourite (at the moment) sushi. Dim lighting though. That indicates "fancy" to me but normally the fanciest places here are often super bright. Maybe we are actually at a crappy place that feels fancy by accident. Lots of obsequious staff and fancy jars and bottles. Could go either way.
Roe and Urchin tend towards Fancy but you can get them at cheap and cheerful places as well
Food is good. Ewa loved the eel sushi which has a glaze on it and I think was on our list of things we have to eat (we are not at the place the list recommended so it doesn't count as an item checked off). I am still only at the basics of fish eating so I probably can't even tell good sushi from bad.
They could use that ice to keep the sushi cold! I am all about solutions!
My Dad had a friend who spent a bit of time in Japan and always referred to liking his beer Brutally Cold. He would love these guys beer, after a couple of sips an little iceberg separates itself from the bottom of the glass and rises in a mist of bubbles to float under the foam. Fun to Watch!

Rating: 7.5/10 (I don't think it was even expensive)

No comments:

Post a Comment