Wednesday 10 June 2015

2015-05-09: Aiiiiii want Candy (do de do do do)

Even though I have a pretty big music library (and a OCD type fetish for the Sony 200 disc cd players, I own 3 of them, you have to type in the album name using a spinning dial, hours of fun!) I actually listen to not much music.
I don't know if this is awesome popcorn or just a cultural thing, surely there can't be this many Popcorn Monsters around here, always a queue though
Mostly because I am incredibly lazy. Even as I type this I am thinking I could go a little Mighty Mighty Bosstones but the effort of finding the album I like the most and playing it seems like a lot of work.
These are salty and sweet. Apparently they are a National Treasure! I think there are many varieties. These are the best out of the ones we have tried. Sort of like Salted caramel on a kind of rice cracker. Taste way better than that sounds.

However we are possibly going to be in Boston in the next few months maybe so let's get culturally prepared. The Bosstones loaded and on shuffle. For some reason I thought Boston was the city which all the Polish people went to but that is Chicago. Maybe this cultural acclimatisation isn't going to help much.

We are not getting much better at planning for arrival in places.

Another thing I suck at planning for are the Food Monsters. Occasionally we (I) turn into the Sucrose Monster. I don't think Nagoya was ever ravaged by Godzilla but that is because Godzilla was afraid. Low on sugar I am not afraid of anything, if humans had a significant sugar content I would probably split them open on the street and suck the sweet nectar from their carcases.

Probably wouldn't make my clothes any dirtier than the average taco expedition.
And of course having Cockatiels set a precedence in terms of clothes cleanliness
As it stands I am not sure of the Japanese Police policy regarding Street Side Slaughter for Sugar. So I run down down to the local 7/11 and buy all their candy. Which all leads me to cultural observations. You were missing these weren't you?

Cultural Observations: Milk Cartons & Portion Sizing

Almost all the chocolates I buy are tiny portions. This works well because I want to try all the things and even Sugar Monsters have their limits.
Macadamias and Koalas! We are not in Australia dammit! The Dars biscuit mushrooms dipped in chocolate will appeal to lovers of Pocky. We are afraid of the waffle in the top left as it has the weight of Dutch Stroopwaffel and those things are only for moments of concentrated sugar desires
The average package of chocolate is maybe 20g. A pack of chocolate coated nuts will have 8 or so. Compare this to the usual mars bar which is about 50g (actually 53g if I wanted to get all nerdy).
Kiwifruit flavoured chewy things. I am here on a NZ passport so I can't complain
Yet for some reason despite everything else tending towards small portions when you buy a litre of milk they give you a straw as if you are likely to wander off drinking it straight from the carton.
Bonus Fun Fact: In Japan that little semi circular cut in the top means the product is milk and not some weird soy thing. If I had known this at the beginning of our stay I would not have had that morning coffee which was the worst thing I have ever drank. Apparently it is designed to help blind people but the stupid foreigners reap the rewards!

Rating: 8/10 (Even if I don't intend to drink a litre of milk wandering the streets it makes me feel like I look like I could)


 
I have a tried and tested solution to these earworms: I sing Clarissa by Mindless Self Indulgence. It works.
 
There was a point to the music reference at the beginning. I think it was to do with all the songs in my head from the convenience stores. Another song that got stuck in my head was Nazi Punks Fuck Off by The Dead Kennedys. The other weird 60's and 70's songs that get in my head are fairly obvious in their root cause; usually background musak although I did wake the other night trying to remember who sang Soulja Boy based on a 2 second loop in my head.

Oh yeah the nazi thing. Man I can digress. So on maps here temples are marked with a Buddhist good luck symbol which happens to be a reversed swastika.
Our intersection in an attempt at doing that Look They Are All Toys style. That style appeals when I'm a Food Monster.
There are lots of temples here and I spend a lot of time on google maps. But it doesn't really resonate with me because it is reversed.
I think the Dead Kennedy's liked their time here, they like Babymetal anyway
However in the intersection up the road I look out over when I smoke at home they have a swastika in the middle.
Raaargh Crush The Toys!

Despite them not being from a town full of Poles Ewa is enjoying the Bosstones but we have to leave for dinner. Further digressions may occur.

No comments:

Post a Comment