Monday 1 June 2015

2015-05-02: A Second Attempt

Our first visit to Kyoto did not rank up there in the annals of Famous Tourists Furiously Seeing Sights. We didn't check list a single shrine. We shall have to try harder.
These guys were closed but that would have been a good checklist item
Today is the first day of the annual Kyoto Taikai. This is an invitational tournament held each year since 1895. This is the 111th one because they missed a couple back when the Americans were nervous about people in dresses waving sticks at each other.
I'm not saying the Americans were wrong to be nervous
I think everyone has to be Renshi or higher. That is a pretty seriously high grade. If I train hard and so on I might be eligible for that level in another 10 years or so after the 17 I have already put in (this is theoretical and very unlikely, just pointing out how high a grade it is).
Seems a pretty good check list item.
I could lie and say it was a shrine, but that would just be cheating myself.
The main focus is the Kendo however lots of other arts and schools are represented on the first day. This morning the Naginata people have their chance. The Sensei from where we train Naginata currently is there demonstrating Tendo Ryu. Tendo Ryu is one of the two largest old schools of Naginata.
Kanji carved in stone always looks cool to me, it could be saying stay off the grass and it still is awesome
The other of the largest old schools is Jikishinkage Ryu. There are differences between the schools. Tendo uses a slightly longer naginata. I think one school used to guard the emperor and the other school were shiftless layabouts. This piece of history brought to you by half arsed remembrances of things possibly biased sources told me.
I never look this good. With or without help. Fortunately Kurosawa made the Scruffy Samurai a thing so I just claim I am following in that style
And there is the modern amalgamation of the old schools and techniques called Zen Nihon Naginata (which is the Kata everyone doing modern day Naginata learns from about 3rd dan on). Zen Nihon is different from the two older schools as naginata fights naginata. In the older schools naginata typically fights other weapons, often the sword. The guy with sword loses. Sword Guy Loses is  something all schools of naginata agree on I think, Zen Nihon just doesn't rub it in.
Sometimes just to annoy the sword person the naginata person grabs a sword as well
Did not see that coming
Haha.
In theory each school is a rival but I come from a western background where we have a small story:
"If there was an old sensei teaching two students and he dies then by nightfall there would three schools that wouldn't talk to each other"
So to my eyes the fact that Tendo Ryu was performed on the floor at the same time as Jikishinkage Ryu and no one mentioned anyone else's moral failings looked like a harmonious get together.

Tourist Checklist: Kyoto Embu Taikai.

Kyoto Budokan
map ref (but you can just follow all the people with big black bags and suspiciously wrapped long skinny things)
2nd of May for three days each year. Day 1 is the demonstrations of Arts which are not Kendo. These are the coolest in my opinion but I am biased. This year the interesting ones were in the morning with the afternoon mostly Iaido (sword drawing kata) and Jodo (stick which doesn't have pretend pointy cutty bits on it). Free entry, can be a little crowded.
The Sensei we came to watch. She has the sword so we all know what the odds of her winning are.
Evade Sensei! Evade!
Get her while she can't see!
Just a flesh wound.
Lighting is not super bright so if you want to take photos you'll need a pretty low F lens (I used a F1.8). They are not super keen on you using a flash. I had my flash off but didn't realise the autofocus does a quick little range finding pulse of light. I stopped taking photos after this was pointed out to me. I am an Obedient (and Prudent) Man.

Rating: 8/10 (If you know nothing about the arts you'd want to go the first day for variety)

They have archery out the back too

No comments:

Post a Comment