Thursday 4 June 2015

2015-05-08: Little Pig, Little Pig, Let Me In

One of the slight issues we run into is transportation. Sometimes we have a lot of armour and sticks and have to walk 20 minutes to get to training. Bikes are good to get to the station but I have never seen anyone with a bike on the subway and I was told that you have to ask the station master. That opens the opportunity to be denied bike privileges on the way back. Too risky.
Skate shop is just before the science museum, This is a phot taken coming back from overshooting, Stupid GPS.
So we ordered skateboards today. In theory this is an Activity With Hats but I have never been able to skate with a helmet or pads so it will have to be just an activity. There is legitimate doubt over whether I can actually skate at all anymore as it is some 20 years since I rode regularly.
The sun was shining through the building I thought that was cool. If I hadn't navigated badly we wouldn't have seen it.
With my life in such imminent threat we must get this Tourist Check-list done.
C:\HalfArse\CheckList.bat <enter>

Tourist Checklist: Miso Katsu

Item #1 on our official list
Misokatsu Yabaton’s Yaba-cho Honten (map, english website)
No Queue. We only had to wait 5 minutes for a table
I have never watched Saving Private Ryan. This is because it was built up to me as So Awesome!!!1!! that I figured there was no way I could not be disappointed (by the time the build up had subsided it was so much fun to see how annoyed my brother got when I refused to see it because of his hype that I decided that it would be wise to keep not seeing it)
Branded Beer Glasses
I am not saying that the hype for this place was over the top. It is damn fine pork and they do love their red miso sauce (the Nagoya speciality). 
Branded Chairs, I think these guys are not dicking around with the "Sure do what you want it is just a guideline" theory of chain stores.
But seeing it have queues constantly and reading people gush about it being the best did raise my expectations more than at a generic place that happens to have crumbed fried pork with red miso sauce.
Checking pre sauce is a service to science but that doesn't make it fun
They do have a little bit of flair and drama. The pork comes out then an elderly fellow strolls over with his pot of sauce and he drenches everything. He obviously takes great pride in his work and I think some of the younger staff were looking at him jealously. Waiting for the moment he looks weak and they can up the reins of Head Saucier.
Now we eat like Real People
I think our lack of reading skills (and my forgetting everything I had read about the place) lead to a minor mistake on our behalf as they do have a sizzling plate of cabbage with pork on top. If we hadn't already ordered half a pig for the two of us I would have grabbed that as it did look pretty great. And almost everyone else was having it. If you go please don't make our mistake.
If we have free time we might go back just for that one dish.
That was a lot of pork. I will now eat cabbage to maintain my delightful figure.
For my money the Asparagus wrapped in pork, crumbed and fried was the winner. It also gets special attention from the Saucy Fellow, no sauce on top, just underneath so you can dip it as required. If you go here to get the sizzly plate get the asparagus as well.
I think the Japanese use of asparagus deserves more attention. Ewa's favourite sushi is deep fried asparagus inside the rice with salmon and roe and sweet onion. At the Tiger bar they do a great bacon wrapped asparagus. And that is just three which spring to mind as some of the best food we have had in Nagoya.
The other two are very cheap. This place I don't think was that cheap, we did get a lot of food and I probably drank too much as well but the bill, in my memory, was higher than the Izakayas have lead me to expect. We do suck at correctly guessing bills though and I have resolved to try and pay more attention to that aspect.

Rating: 3/8 foods & 3/4 establishments checked off (I can't believe we are doing so badly on this list)

No comments:

Post a Comment