Tuesday 24 February 2015

2015-02-22: Secret Feasting

We went to horsies today. The cool kids were in the back with adults in the front. I may have been the only cool kid to not fall asleep after the excitement of horsies.
Do Not Let Appearances Fool You. This One Plots And Schemes.
Horsies are out in the countryside. The Storks have not arrived yet.They have about 3 weeks to get here. I hope they hurry up.
Quite a large solar installation. No idea what it is for.
As Ewa cannot ride she made videos of us riding.Then we reviewed them. I didn't ride very well today and the videos made me sad, then I got hungry. Such a range of emotions.

Food & Beverage Review: Goulash.

Polish Goulash is much milder than I expected. The meat (pretty sure it was pork but I still get tricked by the different cuts here) was really soft and delightful. I turned into the indomitable destroyer of foods. I tried:
Goulash with Kasza: Kasza is buckwheat groats. Nice and nutty. Good base for the goulash sauce. As the sauce is mild the flavour of the kasza still comes through.

The gherkin is my vegetable intake
Goulash With Extra Sour Cream: The trick here is to use a spoon to get the sauce. Generally Poles don't seem to use a spoon to eat main meals. Not sure why. I happily use the most efficient utensil I can find. Without interfering cereals the goulash is easier to funnel down your gullet.
Late evening, still eating.
And then I got it all perfect.
Goulash with bread with smalec: This wins and no further correspondence will be entered into. Bread works as a mopping agent, crunchy bits from smalec give textural contrast and the fat melts slowly over everything.
If I was opening a late night cafe for hungry hungry people I would sell this and only this (well obviously beer and vodka as well)

Rating: 10/10 (And there is still some left for tomorrow night!)


Food & Beverage Review: Jaffa Cakes (But plum flavoured)

Poland loves jaffa cakes. They have them in several flavours. I thought the purple was a nice colour. Apparently when Poles were first (legally) migrating to the UK they couldn't afford the imported items from home but the English love for jaffa cakes meant they could cheat and just get them.

Radioactive Purple!
I like them well enough but I probably don't have enough nostalgia for them to make them seem super special. These seem about the same as the ones I remember, soft slightly crumbly biscuit base and a pretty thick jelly which had an okay plum flavour. From memory jaffa cakes with orange the paste was pretty thick as well. If you are an English person in Poland despairing at being able to afford the can of mushy peas at the EnglishMan Abroad shop you could probably get these and be happy.

Rating: 6/10 (If they were about and I was a ravenous food monster I'd eat again)


The medium density apartment blocks have a feature I find kind of weird. The ends don't have windows. So they often have huge ads on them.
I am lead to believe that the majority (or at least a significant minority) of urban Poles live in similar apartment blocks to these. However there is apparently little in the way of ghettoisation. Ewa says this is because people were given the apartments and now have all their friends there and can't really afford to move to houses. This means there socio economic mix remains pretty high.

I was reading up on crime statistics and Poland is remarkably low compared to Australia on just about everything except corruption. Oddly enough people reported being roughly as afraid of crime at night as Australia though.

No comments:

Post a Comment