Wednesday 18 February 2015

2015-02-16: Solo Activities

Smoking Science failed in Slovakia due to Linguistic and Logistic Limitations.

Plus I got fat eating breakfast buffets bulked up a lot growing ski muscle.

Ewa is growing even better shoulder muscles as we speak and she was already ahead of me on many key measures of fitness. I will be shamed by a Lady (again) if I am not careful!

My secret plan:
  • Ride bike to the gym every second day
  • Do gym things
  • Buy electric cigarette juice
  • Win
  • Get kisses
As with all plans this is a plan with nested options available and varying levels of reactive response depending on situational fluidity.

Activity Review: My Personal Hell of the North.


Paris-Roubaix is a classic bike race in the north of France across busted arse cobbles. To win you must be an awesome bike rider and also a little mental. It is referred to as The Hell of The North.
  • It doesn't have climbs.
  • No one competes on Lady Bikes.
  • They do not engage the dynamo for the headlamp.
  • They wear gloves to keep their hands warm.

Terrifying Climb, With Cobbles.
I did the opposite of these points. For various interpretations of words. The climb may have been a gradient of maybe 4 degrees, compete may not quite describe my style. But I did have the stupid dynamo sucking energy from my legs and using it to scare crows. Fortunately the crows did not attack my cold cold hands.
Stuart O'Grady would love to come train with me.
Looks less intimidating this way, but still...
Now I want some Performance Enhancing Drugs or beer, beer will do.

Rating: 6.5/10 (I'll do it again but next time with gloves)

Cultural Observations: Gym Culture

In Australia I was usually the fattest and hairiest guy at the gym. Didn't really bother me as I have awesome calf muscles and most of them have none and look stupid. Plus I was usually the sweatiest as well which intimidates pretty boys.
Still one of my favourite photos. Personalities captured.
Here I am never the fattest, there are some truly inspiring bellies to be seen. Fortunately I don't know enough Polish to ask if I can jiggle the really impressive ones.
I am also never the hairiest. In cold weather my body seems to put all resources into generating a pelt of neanderthal qualities. Despite this many of the stereotypical gym bunny types (i.e. no calf muscles) are often hairier than me.
Rehabilitation of the physical type only.
I am still mostly the sweatiest though.
I find this comforting (and feel superior every time some little skinny calf muscles go by).

Rating: 8/10 (They might laugh at my Lady bike though)


It is important to hydrate yourself at the gym. I have a fancy bottle. In the past I have just used a cycling bottle however when getting a new bag of creatine I saw they had bottles with shakers so I grabbed a couple.
Polish people are afraid of the cold. When I filled my bottle from the tap it was still pretty hot from the scaredy cat Polish man before me. I didn't notice because the fancy bottle is quite thick.
I had a sensei once tell me that when you drink after training you should let the drink warm in your mouth before swallowing to avoid some kind of too much cold in your stomach thing happening. I always figured that was pretty much bollocks, heat exchange anywhere is not likely to make that much difference on that scale.
Today I pretended it was true and sipped my warm water between sets pretending I was following his advice and not just too lazy to go all the way back to the tap for cold water.

Goals Achieved:
  • Personal Hell of the North conquered
  • Gym routine powered through
  • USA tobacco flavoured juice acquired
  • Ate lots of Bigos and vege soup
(Ego is +2)
Personal Failures:
  • Succumbed to pretty colours on a chocolate wrapper
  • Skipped Kendo as I had to work
(Ego is -2)

Balanced, yep that is me.
It did have pretty colours on it...

When shopping for D3 & Calcium supplements for Ewa's leg I finally found the hotdog shop I have smelled a few times. I have promised myself classic Polish hotdog when I get my weight and fat both back under my 20 day and 100 day average lines. Apparently American hotdogs were mostly popularised by Polish immigrants so I should try the local ones before heading to the States. Yeah that is a good reason.
And a nice sunset to round out the day
Pretty sure that is Venus right there. I must learn the stars up here.


No comments:

Post a Comment