Friday 13 February 2015

2015-02-10: A Return To Beginner Slope Dominance

Schussing comes from the German and means going fast on skis. Poles don't call it this as there are not enough sh/ch/z sounds in that word.
I have 3 ski Poles. ahahaha I kill me.

We went fast anyway. I forgot to take our gps/heart rate monitors. Will do that tomorrow. For our first day we went to Tatranska Lomnica which has the best easy slopes. And the longest steepest slopes "for experts only" as well. We did not make mistakes in choosing chair lifts and so are still alive.
Kiddies slope is too easy for us. Plus I would go straight through that fence.
Hotel does a bus out there and back (20 minutes each way) with 6 hours of skiing in between. We spent an hour dicking around getting passes and such.

Linguistic Observations: Slavic Languages

Ewa keeps trying to get me to talk to people for directions etc. She doesn't realise that when she speaks English to them she has the fall-back of using Polish. Granted many of the people don't speak Polish but there are enough similarities that she does better than I do with just English.
We spent 5 minutes trying to figure out how to make a Z using the top Y/Z key. The counter guy showed us that you just use the bottom Z/Y key.
Realistically it appears Slovakian is about as close to Polish as English is to German.

Rating: 5/10 (There are other languages higher on the list)

We had fun, I tested my helmet and binding releases out a bit. Ewa chose to stay on her feet. Quite a busy slope in the morning but emptied out by lunchtime.
Lots of booze may have explained the lower numbers later in the day
My feet are a stupid shape and also I am not a very good skiier. I had to take a "boots off, bare feet in the snow" break every couple of hours. Apparently this is not a common behaviour. Or maybe I just looked very cool in all my fancy gear.
Achievements: Skiing:
  • I did a jump. It was maybe 6 inches high but both skis were off the ground at the same time and at the end of that bit I was still standing.
  • I did a 320 degree slide. The remaining 40 degrees elude me. Remaining on feet afterwards also eludes me.

Graffiti Review: Domo Arigato, Mr Roboto

He is incognito.
Hooray.

Rating: 9/10 (and not just for the Invader Zim / Simpsons influences)


Sign Review: Toilet Cleaning Company

Either a company without English slang knowledge
A compliment or a boast? If he had been giving me a Thumbs up would have made it obvious.
Or an employee at said company getting away with subversion.

Rating: 9/10 (I wonder what alternate mascot choices were)

No comments:

Post a Comment