Friday 13 February 2015

2015-02-12: Friday the Thirteenth is tomorrow

I am not a superstitious fellow. I may carry a four leaf clover and own a farahavar but they are just practical choices. If someone believes in luck and gives you a four leaf clover you are an insensitive clod not keeping it. Because of this I didn't know that this Friday is Black Friday until the cab driver from the hospital pointed it out.
Shiny Morning
We are IT people and have performed Root Cause Analysis for the failure in structural integrity of Ewa's Fibia:

  • It is my fault because by ensuring she had a charged phone in the case of an emergency she felt comfortable enough allowing an emergency to occur.
  • It is my fault because I was having a break and was going to film her run, the pressure to perform jinxed her
  • It is my fault because I wasn't paying her enough manly attention and the mountain rescue guys attention can only be obtained through spectacular means
  • It is my fault because I learn by pushing myself to the point of failure and she has started copying me
There were several others but they failed the logical test of "is it my fault?" so they can be safely considered to be the ranting of a madman.
Actually today was school day I think as there were vast blocs of youngsters clogging things up if you were unlucky
We did have a nice play on the Intermediate (red) slopes prior to our untimely departure. I started getting the hang of carving turns which feel pretty cool but are deceptively fast. I only got to a max speed of 40 km/hr today though, mostly due to my legs being too weak to feel comfortable much faster than that.
Slovakian Kielbasa is spelled wrong, tastes wrong and comes with pickled peppers.

I got to sit in the front of the ambulance back to the hospital. The driver is 40 and we were talking about the separation of Czech and Slovakia back in '93. He finds it amusing that nowadays the young people find each others languages hard to understand. Back in his day this was unusual. They used to be pretty much the same people and they all liked the same bands. Sure the commies were annoying but there aren't any good bands now.

Colour Coordinated Even in Emergencies

According to him Poprad is kind of what my feelings were. It is a pretty small city but it has a couple of elements, like the Aquacity Hotel, which are attempts at turning it into a serious tourism destination. He thinks there is still a lot of work to be done on that front.

On the topic of the Ravening Russians he pointed out that Slovakia is a member of NATO, Slovakia is not particularly fond of the Russian occupation (not to Polish levels obviously he was quick to add) and also that even if Donetsk is only 20 hrs. drive away you have to remember that Ukrainian roads are not quite as good as Slovakian ones so that might actually be like a weeks drive away.

I was not allowed to turn on the siren or the lights

When we got to the hospital we found that Ewa had been freaking the other Mountain Rescue guy out by singing lullabies the whole way to keep her mind off the pain.

Activity Review: The Slovakian Mountain Rescue and Hospital Experience


The things we do for these reviews!
The Mountain rescue guys were pretty quick at picking Ewa up, Probably ten minutes from falling to being in the little snow mobile buggy waiting to be picked up by the ambulance. They were nice guys too and made sure we didn't make dumb mistakes like leave the slopes without picking up ID from the rental people and so on.
Slovakian doctors are nicer than they look
The Doctor was a nice enough guy to me and they all managed to get Ewa's ski boot off without destroying it or hurting her. I suspect they have a lot of practice with it.
Will have to repaint those crutches.
The High Tatry ski pass includes insurance for the ambulance (we have lots of insurance anyway but I think this should be compulsory at all ski places) which made for very little paperwork. We paid 70 euro to buy crutches and for xrays which we could probably have claimed for with insurance but at the time it seemed a hassle. Plus we got a CD with a standalone app in it and the xrays. Pretty cool.

Rating: 8/10 (Not suggesting you should try it but if you need to it was a simple and thorough process)

Food and Beverage Review: Kapustnica (1 from the checklist)


Yep I like this. Mildly spicy paprika soup with chunks of chorizo and potato. Ewa prefers the Polish flavour profile but we all know my predilections run towards the bigger flavours over subtlety.
Broken People get to choose all the meals in the world and eat in bed, it's in the rules.
Having it as part of a Feast in Bed only makes it better.

Rating: 8.5/10 (And I didn't even spill any on the white bedclothes!)

Oh that is why the Hotel is called Mountain View!
End Result Of Scans:
Ewa has a fractured fibia and needs to get checked when the inflammation goes down but currently surgery is not likely to be required.
I'm not a doctor but I think it is the wiggly bit at the top of the skinny bone that is the problem
All things working well back on her feet in 6 weeks. Japan is unlikely to contain skiing activities as by then it will be a bit late in the season. Naginata should be okay a month or so in.

Linguistic Skills: Schussing

I was correct that Poles would find this word unambitious. They have fixed it though.
Szusować
Means the same, less likely to be confused as just background noise.

Rating: 7/10 (although we won't be using it for a while)

No comments:

Post a Comment