Monday 13 July 2015

2015-05-30: Crafty Beer

S-A-T-U-R
D-A-Y 
Night! 
Party time. We are not old stay-at-home boring people, we are young and hip and such.
Referencing the Bay City Rollers might not be the best way to show this I guess. They might be ironically cool again though. I wonder if "I only liked them after everyone else decided they sold out" is a thing yet. Probably.
Relatively easy to find even for me. Mostly I only go to first floor places as I forget to look up to see what else is available. I will learn this 3 dimensional food seeking skill one day I hope
I liked craft beers before many people but that wasn't being hip, that was just the ability to drink or smoke almost anything. Y Market Brewing is a craft brewing pub in Nagoya 300 odd metres from the central station. They have a small very-efficient packed-in brewery downstairs and the pub upstairs.
Japanese portion size makes it easy for the guy plating up to make things pretty.
Kazuyo, a Japanese Lady that helped us ordering sticks of grilled food at a place that had no english menus, is meeting us for a beer and some snacks. Ewa wants to talk to someone about shoes or makeup or pretty much anything that is not martial arts. Even shopping is a valid topic of conversation. Kazuyo finds martial arts an odd thing to talk about.
She has a pretty good death stare but little interest in deploying it, simply uses it defensively against my Non-Lady-Topic rambling. Doesn't work as well Ewa's "drink a glass of water" technique, hard to talk with a mouthful of water, but still reasonably effective.
The place was full (which is understandable), I hadn't booked tables (which is typical) so we wandered the streets for a bit looking at stuff (I like stuff) then a table was ready, maybe half an hour.
And because the portions are small you get to try lots of different things, bread is better at the froggy place. Still don't know why everyone in Nagoya isn't using that baker. Pate was nice, not chunky enough for Ewa's Polish Peasant Proclivities
Great beer and great rotisserie chicken. I have recently had a bit of a craving for large chunks of BBQ chicken, tebasaki is great but requires nimble teeth and sometime I am tired and want to eat like a caveman. The Brazilian place in Osu was good but not quite what I wanted and only increased my cravings.
Crispy seasoned skin... Simple cooking and basic jointing of chunks
Craft beer seems to be making inroads in Nagoya. So far the beer is not the stupid american "More hops means better" style which I often find to be an exercise in futility if you want me to drink a lot of the beer. I suspect this is because the Japanese preference for more delicate flavours in combination as opposed to brutal overkill of an idea. I think the brutal overkill of hops in many American beers doesn't appeal to me because I like large volumes of beer. Brutal overkill of peat in scotch is okay because the volume of fluid typically imbibed is lower.
Lots are all called hoppy but the balls to wall craziness isn't really evident, I liked the Red a lot I think.
I guess the fact that I didn't take any photos of the beer is indicative of how busy I was drinking the beer. Shall have to return.

No comments:

Post a Comment