Sunday 5 July 2015

2015-05-25: Style and Functionality

Three days of Jukendo and I did manage to pick up a small injury. The seminar had the usual rigmarole of shoes for each location you were in. One of the favourite Japanese things is dedicated slippers for the bathroom. At the door to each bathroom there will be a series of slippers for you to wear in the bathroom.
Like some kind of opposite world bound feet I have
They are always tiny things for people with tiny feet. I don't even have big feet, maybe a little wide but nothing spectacular. I don't have a special cobbler making me shoes. I buy them at the regular shop like regular people. The bathroom shoes I can usually get my toes into enough that they don't fall off immediately and that is about the best I manage.
Even the "This is not Australia" impulse didn't stop me from wanting some.
Similarly the shoes for walking around inside the place we stayed were too damn small.
So I ended up with a small cut on my foot. It is irritating when I slide my normal shoes on or off.
I had noticed Terada Sensei's natty little shoes the other day and thought they were cool so we went up to Osu and grabbed some for me. They have a collapsing heel area and plus are racy.
If I bought another pair in reversed colours and wore one of each it would be too much...
As with everything I own I expect them to look like a homeless man's charity shoes in a day or two but for now I am close to metrosexual.

Tourist Checklist: Vending Machine Food At A Restaurant

I know it wasn't on the original list but this is something which I think you can only do in Japan or in steampunk movies like Dark City (I don't think Brazil had anything similar but maybe).
Should have learned more Portuguese I guess.
You order from a vending machine, pay your money and present the ticket to the counter.
It saves no time as it doesn't relay the order through to the kitchen or anything.
I was kind of sure Frango was chicken and not flowers because who serves Frangipangi at a restaurant
Seems more like just a love of robots wherever possible and so I like it

Rating 8/10 (I guess it saves on stupid people that don't know what they want so +1)


No comments:

Post a Comment