Saturday 4 July 2015

2015-05-23: Zen, like a bald guy on a mountain

Yesterday was fun, let's do it again
I would like to claim that I was in a zen state; observing, but not caring as the sheet of cloud rolled in, displaying control on the edge of chaos the falcon drifted in the thermals and the sparrows bounced around like ADHD kids without their ritalin.
Okay, now we know what it looks like, let's copy that
This would be a lie though, I was just knackered. Day 1 of the seminar was jukendo (bayonet mounted on a rifle).
No fear in his eyes. I wonder if he is bluffing and is petrified
Day 2 was tankendo (bayonet in hand). We have done little tankendo and it happens to be the lovely Japanese ladies specialty and Baptistes favourite as well. As we have done little we haven't grown the leetle teeny muscles that are needed for the fine control. That means I usually engage every other muscle group to try and do things proper.
Okay nope, he's not bluffing and not scared. At least this one didn't make Baptiste laugh, nothing more embarrassing than a Frenchman laughing at your martial prowess...

Linguistic Skills: Engaging every Opportunity to learn

Maru means gently, softly, relaxed.
Maru, maru, maru means gently, softly, relaxed - you absolute idiot.
Two pools of Relaxed Tranquillity
When I was learning naginata I spent about 6 months where the only correction I got was "relax".
admittedly Fast moving Pools of Tranquillity
It got to a point where I was going to make a little head mounted illuminated sign so that sensei could just push a button and have his advice relayed to me visually rather than lose his voice.

Rating: 8/10 (because I will hear it again and again)

Two pools of "wow we are dead"
Tankendo kata has elbow and arm locks followed by a stab using the hip to force the bayonet in. We like these. Unfortunately I was told that due to the nature of judges positioning in shiai they are not used as much in competitive fighting.
Often only one judge will be able to see all the technical aspects of the attack and you need two flags to score a point. That made us sad.
In the afternoon the people with energy remaining had shiai competition to allow those practising judging to have competitions to judge.
I don't know if it was because it wasn't real competition but the guys were doing the arm locks at full speed in the shiai. I doubt it though. I suspect it was because if you are fighting and someone grabs you, immobilises you, has you off balance and under control and makes a clean stab you don't care if it gets a point or not; you are suddenly terrified of that guy.
In the evening I spent a long time soaking my feet (and the rest of me) in the bath. I think it has magical healing water.
Blue pool of tranquillity
Only one more day, we can do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment