Monday 6 April 2015

2015-04-02: Velocopedes!

I should have pointed out yesterday that the New Record title was referring to the number of steps Ewa took, both with and without crutches, they were both records. But I am half arsed and forgot to. Anyway she did. Go Ewa! Part of the Purpose for our Perambulation was bicycle Purchase.
Curry is the highest selling food in Japan I believe. I don't think this is helping

While waiting for bike fittings we stopped at what was termed a Mindfuck Shop. I believe it may be a fair description.
Lotions, Foot Cleaners and a device for giving "shoulder rubs". The girl on the cover looked extremely happy giving herself a "shoulder rub" in the bath (note product is not 100% waterproof)
For me the real mind fuck was everyone saying I had to get Quadruple A batteries for the bike lights. I know they don't exist. Then I saw that here the AAA battery appears to be called Style 4 in the A class battery. It does say triple A quite clearly on the package though so at least I could prove my point.
Japan has lots of bikes. Now we have bikes too. We are blending in. We are only blending in because of our material goods though. Our actions? They do not blend in.
Bikes!

Cultural Observation: Japan Can Not Bike Proper.

Bells. All bikes have them. No one uses them and everyone else seems to have some kind of supernatural hearing which can hear tires behind them. I do not have this skill yet. Ewa's bell rings quietly constantly. This should be compulsory.
This is superlative placement by local standards. I do not have a photo of the ones that anger with me as my image stabilisation is not good enough to maintain focus when I am quivering with aspergers rage.
Feet Placement. The only people with the ball of their foot on the pedal are the Ladies with high heels on. Everyone else rides using their arch. This frustrates me a great deal but I don't have the language skills to ride beside them and give them a good haranguing.
Black and Red and Racy! Mine! $400
Parking. All bikes are registered with the police because apparently the only crime that happens in this country is bike theft.We were advised to get really crappy old looking bikes to avoid the annoyance of them being stolen (we didn't because cool bikes are pretty cheap here and I figure two chained together is probably too much hassle).
The other sign had clear iconography I thought but the cartoon Police Lady saying NO! must cry herself to sleep each night reflecting on her ineffectual job. I feel sorry for her.
Despite the bikes being registered with the police no one seems to follow the signs indicating where there are no bikes and no bike parking. Instead there is some informal rule which is enforced. The complexities of this rule mean that I am certain to become a criminal here inadvertently.
Hot Pink and Classy! Ewa's Sakura Celebration of a Lady Bike. $250

Rating: 2/10 (Going to stick with my own style but I will try and park correctly)


We had our second Japanese lesson. Mostly numbers. These fit nicely into my Booze and Food curriculum. As a surprising thing we found I am awesome at numbers! I think it is all the naginata counting. In fact I know it is; in Naginata we count to eight a lot but rarely use 9.
I don't even know how many crazy arse morning ice cream floats she has there because I am sure they have special counting words for crazy things.

9 is my weakest number.

Unfortunately for me we only use two of the numbering systems in Naginata. And there are more than that. It appears so far that the ich, ni san, shi series of numbers are only actually used for pure math problems or for counting in Naginata and Kendo. Odd combination of places but who am I to argue?

A quick ride and a Japanese lesson following yesterdays New Record! have left us somewhat subdued and so dinner is simply a sanity check on previous ratings at the Meat Bye place (Fish-is-fine-meat-is-Neat.
Warm Rillettes
Cold Terrine
Pork Escalopes
The rating stands. 9/10. I have an Internet Friend coming to Nagoya. He is eating here first stop. Once again the place was extremely high Female to Male ratio. One guy was obviously on a first date and I can only commend him on his shrewd thinking in choosing such a place for the date (assuming he did). They left together looking happy and I am pretty sure the place was a deciding factor in her choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment