Sunday 5 April 2015

2015-03-31: Shopping

A comedian being threatened and yelling "I have a Black Belt in Origami" is one of the older jokes I know in terms of Japanese culture. It is probably bewildering to the Japanese because you probably can get a black belt in origami but what good is that in a fight?
Many of the things I take for granted as being martial arts oriented are actually fairly commonplace concepts in Japan. Semantics aside Sensei just means Teacher. You can get your black belt in flower arranging or making tea. And the flags judges use at matches for scoring points are widely used here for traffic control.
Or of course traffic control is scored. Which wouldn't surprise me actually.

I need flags to practice being a judge. There is a martial arts place in Osu so we wandered up there. The traffic control flags are the wrong size for Naginata judging. Osu has a large, warren like shopping district with a temple in the middle.
Even with the netting I have no idea how they keep it clean. Some kind of cleaning ninja I expect.
As a backup plan for my naginata clothing not coming in time I also looked for a simple plain white T shirt. These do not exist in Osu in a size which is respectable on me.
All the heathen idols were apparently ready for dinner
Actually the statues are considered the Guardians of Children and the bibs are often from the parents of a sick kiddie that got better. I kept a respectful distance in case my reputation had preceded me.
The closest fitting T shirt was basically spray paint on me and I don't think anyone wanted to see that. I suspect they took the shirt out the back after I removed it and then gave it a humane execution and burial. I think the Buddhist preference is cremation.
The nature of the warren is, at first impression, a simple # style layout. This is a deceiving thought and is woefully inaccurate. Do not trust this concept.
Good Security
Or the Storm Trooper might have just been chatting with the Bin Robots, they looked gossipy types.
According to locals (and the lying internet) one of the best places to eat in Osu (if not Nagoya) is the Brazilian place in this warren. We didn't eat there. Near the 2m tall Maneki Neko (Good luck cat with it's paw in the air) is a great burger place. We didn't eat there.
Suspension rope exercise place, we are coming back to try this
Instead we stopped at the closest place when Ewa got tired. It was a kebab place opposite a pizza place and not worth going to again. Pizza place looked busy. Japanese pizza has been described as covered in crazy toppings. We shall have to try it at some point.

Sign Review: Smoking Safety 

They make it look easy but children move really fast. You can't just set a trap and hope they walk into it. I am going to guess this was designed by people that have never been to the front line of the Generation Wars.

Rating: 2/10 (plus a smoke that big would be too visible, for Gen X'ers it's a guerilla war dammit!)

The Cherry blossoms are in full bloom now and most streets have at least a tree or two.
Sonic Death Monkey Observes The Blossoms
Sonic Death Monkey is Observing Everything!
The tradition of going to have a sit down and look at the blossoms has morphed over the years and for many it is now more of a social, sit down, eat and drink with friends thing. Especially in the larger groves. However the lone trees in the small parks do attract families and those avoiding the more raucous drunken aspects of the bigger gatherings.
Steps. Neat.

No comments:

Post a Comment