Monday 14 December 2015

Jukendo: Basic Exercises, Fumikomi #2 (銃剣道: 基本)

More foot slapping because it is fun.
I do this one a lot whenever I have spare time. Waiting for traffic lights etc. It makes me feel a bit like a grumpy lady. Grumpy Ladies don't tend to follow up with stabs to the heart though so I am not sure what passers by think.
5 examples of fumikoni. I would like to claim I did a variety of errors to show you. In truth I am just not that good yet.
  1. Double slap, okay sound but slow like granny coming to say hi
  2. Overbalanced, sounded good, back foot was quick but too close
  3. Happy enough but back foot is slow
  4. Not as good and back foot is slow
  5. pee yeew ugly no slap at all
All things being equal this was just a quick thing without a mokuju so I am not too upset with my self except that in every single one I used naginata footwork to go backwards. Jukendo starts with the back foot and digs it in hard to get that speed and lateral motion without the bouncy.

Going backwards fast is really hard to learn. It is, I think, essential to good zanshin in jukendo as you have to remember the 40% power for strike / 60% for blade removal rule. That back foot moving first gives you the 60%, it is not arm strength, it is body strength.

No comments:

Post a Comment