Tuesday 12 May 2015

2015-04-28: Drug Addled Ramblings

More painkillers mean more interesting observations. One of the little jokes in Futurama which I always liked was "Kyoto; the anagram lovers Tokyo".
Not Tokyo
I have realised that it is only a valid anagram in simplified English as they are actually spelt Kyōto and Tōkyō in romaji.
Not Tokyo
Stupid learning, always ruins stuff.
Not Tokyo
I can't figure out the status of anagrams and puns in Japanese. One the one hand I have been told that they are not even noticed half the time as they occur so frequently by accident that no one really pays attention.
Krakow, Not Australia
On the other hand I have read translated writing of fancy people writings in Japanese which have specific notes such as (Here he is making a joke because the characters for this and that look very similar).
Train in Slovakia, Not Australia
Then I get confused by things which translate just weird. Nichi Yoobi means SunDay. And in the same way as in English it is the day of the sun Nichi means Sun. But the word for day is the same word (which kind of makes sense as 5 days can be called 5 suns). But that means that Nichi Yoobi translates as Day Day.
Białystok, Not Australia
Almost as bad for my poor brain as the Polish for East Wschód which also means rising. Which means the Polish for "Where does the sun rise?" is answered with "In the place where the sun rises".
Shin-Sakaemachi, not Australia

And the even more fun part of these thoughts is that when I try to speak to native speakers about it I just confuse everyone.
Sakae, not Australia
I was trying to figure out Age Dori (which I think is how you spell the fried chicken at the convenience stores here) and I figured Kara Age (a different fried chicken) probably means fried chicken and that Dori is the name for street.
Chikusa, not Australia (and just don't do it people)
Therefore it is maybe the type of chicken that was traditionally sold or eaten on the street. However talking to our Japanese teacher she said no and then managed to say Kara Age means fried just like Ebi Fry and I realised she didn't notice that Kara, Age & Fry sound nothing like the same and I was not following at all.
Somewhere in Japan, not Australia 
Of course the fact that I often pick words up and am understood only through context (unlike the Brains of the Operation who actually studies) doesn't help me in these sidetracks and distractions.
Kasugai, not Australia

No comments:

Post a Comment